Written by Foundling Intern and Guest Blogger, Liam M.
As students at The New York Foundling’s charter school, Mott Haven Academy wrap up classes for the year, they are still taking the time to enjoy once of a lifetime opportunities, including field trips and activities to help them learn about teamwork, setting and achieving goals, and applying what they’ve learned in the classrooms to real-life experiences.
Here is a recent roundup of what our students ‘scholars’ have been able to achieve in recent weeks:
- Middle school students were invited to watch the New York Jets take the field for a pre-season practice. Watching an NFL team run drills, sprints and other activities was a blast for the students as they got to see some of their favorite football players. Thank you to the New York Jets for providing our students with an unforgettable experience!
- 5th graders went on an exciting field trip to Club Getaway in Connecticut to celebrate all of their achievements in the classroom over the past year. Throughout the day, the students were challenged with a multitude of entertaining activities and sports. This was a great bonding experience for the kids as they learned how to develop a sense of community with one another, and encouraged each other to overcome tough obstacles. Mott Haven Academy would love to thank Club Getaway for providing the children with an exhilarating day in the outdoors.
- 4th graders performed an impressive ballet recently which told the story of the American Revolution. The students prepared for weeks and learned the techniques and skills of ballet from experts at the Art of the Dance World Academy. Learning the art of ballet as they studied the American Revolution added an element of excitement and passion to the curriculum, tying together history and dance. Special thanks to the Art of the Dance World Academy for providing input and guidance on this incredible performance.
- Mott Haven Academy scholars visited the Met Opera House on the Upper West Side to watch a dress rehearsal of Whipped Cream performed by the American Ballet Theater. Prior to the event, students took advantage of a beautiful day and had a picnic lunch in Central Park. Thank you Met Opera House and the American Ballet Theater for providing the students with an entertaining and impactful day!
- Haven’s middle school students visited Governor’s Island to learn about farming! The students had an awesome and insightful day as they learned different techniques, skills and approaches to farming and agriculture. Mott Haven thanks the staff members at Governor’s island for teaching the students about farming!
As the 2018-2019 school year is coming to a close, The Foundling would like to applaud and celebrate the teachers, staff, and students at Mott Haven Academy for another successful year! For more updates, please visit Haven Academy’s Facebook page!