Open your heart and home to a child who needs both. Become a foster parent. Call The New York Foundling’s Foster Parent Recruitment Line at 718-551-3511. The rewards last a lifetime.
"Abandon No One"
The Foundling’s mission challenges everyone to make a difference. In New York alone, there are thousands of children who are abandoned, physically and emotional abused, born with special needs, or simply victims of circumstance. Every one of these children deserves to grow up in a safe, supportive loving home. But there are many more children in need than there are foster parents to nurture them. We need your help so that no child feels abandoned.
The New York Foundling needs loving, self-sufficient individuals and families who have the ability to offer children expert temporary care. You can apply to be a foster parent if you:
- can provide a loving, safe and stable home
- are at least 21 years old and in good health
- have your own income from a job, pension, public assistance or Social Security
- speak English (bilingual individuals are encouraged to apply)
Our children are diverse and their needs may be complex. We are searching for loving homes for boys and girls:
- from a variety of cultures and nationalities
- of all ages (Foster parents for teens are in great demand!)
- who must be placed with siblings or, in the case of young teen mothers, with their babies
- with developmental disabilities and special medical and emotional needs (for which we provide special training)
We provide foster families with the support they need to be successful:
- Financial assistance for the care of all children; additional assistance for children who require special care
- Medical and mental health services for the children
- Comprehensive, ongoing training for all foster parents; special training for parents of children with special needs
- The Foundling’s trained professional staff of social workers, nurses, physicians and administrators
- 24-hour emergency support
- Support groups that provide additional peer advice and support
- Adoptive services
Foster parenting requires the full and complete care of children, including keeping medical, mental health and court appointments and making sure children attend school, eat well, play, and visit their parents, siblings and extended families. Foster parenting is a challenging, but extremely rewarding experience.
In our efforts to ensure children are sent to loving, supportive homes, The Foundling fully assesses all potential foster parents through a "home study" process that includes reviews of living space, health histories, financial profiles, and character references. To ensure the safety of each child we place, any person age 18 or older living in a potential foster home must undergo a medical assessment and obtain a clearance through New York State's Central Register, which monitors the incidents of child abuse and the histories of child abusers. Candidates must also be fingerprinted and complete required training.
If you would like to open your heart and your home to a child or children who need both, please consider becoming a foster parent. Take the first step and submit an application below. For more information, call The New York Foundling Foster Parent Recruitment Line at 718-551-3511or attend an orientation near you. A child is waiting.
Apply to Become a Foster Parent
Please complete one of the following applications: